City of Oakland
Oakland Ordinance Changes: Effective February 1, 2017
- Capital improvements will no longer be based on 5 years, but rather “useful life”. Additionally, imputed financing costs will be allowed in a schedule, to be determined by the Rent Board. All other capital improvement restrictions remain in place.
- Extend waiting period for exemption from rent control for 2-3 unit owner-occupied buildings from 1 year to 2 years
- Renters will have 90/120 days, rather than 60 days, to contest rent increases depending on if a RAP notice has been served or not
- Language translation services will be provided by the Rent Board to all persons who request it
Click here to download the Ordinance changes.
Oakland Ballot Measure Results
Measure JJ: Renter’s Upgrade Act – Approved with Majority Vote
- Pre-petition for all increases above the annual allowable increase (CPI, currently 2%)
- No pre-petitioning needed for banking
- Just Cause will now include properties built before December 31,1995 (currently set at 1980)
- More power given to the Oakland Rent Board
- Substantial rehabilitation has much more restrictive requirements
This measure is effective February 1, 2017
Click here to read full ordinance