Small Property Owner Representation Services (SPORS)
What is SPORS?
SPORS is for small, lower-income rental housing providers pursuing an Oakland RAP claim or have a RAP claim against them from a renter. Qualified applicants should ensure they comply with local laws and ordinances that govern rental properties
In partnership with the City of Oakland's Rent Adjustment Program (RAP), EBRHA is providing small rental property owner/operator assistance and representation in Oakland Rent Adjustment Program (RAP) petition cases and in Housing, Residential Rent and Relocation Board (HRRRB) appeal proceedings.
Reasons for Filing RAP Petitions
- Additional occupant in the unit
- Banked Rent Increases over 10% (Next Year)
- Capital improvement passed on as rent increase
- Fair return on renovations or improvements pass on as a rent increase
- Increased housing service costs to lease agreement - Parking, Laundry, etc.
- Renter not residing in unit as principal residence - Subleasing issues
- Uninsured repair costs that you want to pass through as rent increase
SPORS will assist qualified owners/operators with the following:
- Education and process review
- Case preparation and document filing
- Representation at Oakland RAP hearings
- Negotiating resolutions and agreements
- If the property owner is not currently compliant with local laws and ordinances, we can assist them in becoming compliant
- Provide ALL necessary documentation and forms for processing
MEDIATION AND INTERPRETATION SERVICES AVAILABLE
Qualified applicants should ensure they comply with local laws and ordinances that govern rental properties in Oakland. The SPORS program assists small, lower-income rental housing providers pursuing an Oakland RAP claim or having a RAP claim against them from a renter.
Our goal in launching this new pilot program is to educate property owners about their rights and responsibilities, connect them with the resources they need, eliminate dismissed cases due to filing errors, settle issues before they end up before the RAP board, and foster better relationships between renters and owners.
EBRHA is accepting applications today and applying takes less than five (5) minutes. The program is also open to non-EBRHA members. Please pass the information along to other rental property owners you know who may need RAP assistance.
Eligible applicants must own eight (8) or fewer rental homes and have a total annual income below the Area Median Income (AMI). For more information about the SPORS program and how to apply, contact our RAP Specialists at 510.347.8505 or ERAP@ebrha.com.
Having a tough time with your renter and need to file or respond to a claim? EBRHA is here to assist you through this difficult process. Don't wait, apply now! Our objective is to save property owners time and reduce costly proceedings. EBRHA understands that owning and managing rental housing is complex and having a resource to help you with challenging issues can make all the difference!